Monday, March 12, 2012

NSFW. Possibly just NS.

In the past week I've watched three films; feature length British horror flick The Awakening (2011), the music clip for Zebra Katz and Njena Reddd Foxxx's song, "Ima Read" and Agent Provacteur's video short, Fleurs Du Mal. Only two of them were scary.

I live in hope that one day someone will create a horror film as perfectly suited to me as The Others (2001). You know - eerily beautiful, with a good twist and strong child actors, set in the interwar period, starring Nicole Kidman... I'm not too picky, am I?


The Awakening actually ticked a fair few of those boxes, obviously borrowing from (or paying homage to) The Changeling (1980) and (like The Others) Henry James' short novel The Turn of the Screw and The Innocents (1961). Now, as sources of inspiration for horror film go, that ain't a bad bunch. Unfortunately The Awakening just doesn't lift off. I guess you can't simply reference your way into making a scary movie.

Far more freaky is this ad for undies:


Apparently its director, Justin Anderson, took inspiration from the Hammer House of Horror TV series:


Watching it I also felt the influence of Michael Haneke's Funny Games (2007, I haven't seen the original. Boo, hiss.) and the rape scene in Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange (1971). Disturbing stuff.

Finally here's the video for "Ima Read", a song which has apparently exploded since being used as the soundtrack to Rick Owens' Fall 2012 RTW show:


I'm calling it - scary is the new sexy.

No comments: