Tuesday, December 7, 2010

what a Classic

Every time I look at Karl Lagerfeld's 2011 Pirelli calendar, entitled "Mythology", I like it more. The first is my favourite of the lot - Abbey Lee is the perfect Eurydice to Freja's Orpheus.


Abbey Lee and Freja as Castor and Pollux

Heidi Mount as Aurora


Erin Wasson as Ajax

Anja Rubick as Hermes

Some of the photos recall shots from Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia, unsurprising given the Greco-Roman tone of both:
Anja Rubick as Terpsichore

It's the most wanky and yet least wankable Pirelli calendar I've laid eyes on.
And I've never seen landing-strips look so powerful.

Below is the making of video. I was tickled-pink to notice that 'King of the Bongo' by Manu Chao is playing in the studio during the shoot. Also amusing is Daria Werbowy waxing lyrical about her own profession; models, she notes, 'are kind of warriors... we're kinda like unearthly human beings.' Oh gawd, why are the models talking?

No comments: